You are here
Warning: images may be copyrighted. If no copyright is shown, see their site of origin for details, or contact me.
Sheet music for Christopher Bochmann
Voice and Piano — Book Only — Classical
28 Werner Bochmann Melodien. Composed by Werner Bochmann. Classical. Book Only. UFT #UFT 127382. Published by UFT (BT.UFT-127382).
Salon Orchestra — Score Only —
Composed by Werner Bochmann. Score Only. UFT #UFT 157197. Published by UFT (BT.UFT-157197).
Salon Orchestra — Score Only —
Composed by Werner Bochmann. Score Only. UFT #UFT 13331. Published by UFT (BT.UFT-13331).
Salon Orchestra — Book Only — Original Light Music
Composed by Werner Bochmann. Original Light Music. Book Only. UFT #UFT 147344. Published by UFT (BT.UFT-147344).
Salon Orchestra — Score Only —
Composed by Werner Bochmann. Score Only. UFT #UFT 14423. Published by UFT (BT.UFT-14423).
Salon Orchestra — Score Only — Original Light Music
Composed by Werner Bochmann. Original Light Music. Score Only. UFT #UFT 14410. Published by UFT (BT.UFT-14410).
Salon Orchestra — Score Only —
Composed by Werner Bochmann. Score Only. UFT #UFT 14392. Published by UFT (BT.UFT-14392).
Salon Orchestra — Score Only —
Composed by Werner Bochmann. Score Only. UFT #UFT 13303. Published by UFT (BT.UFT-13303).
W. Bochmann: Orchestral Music — Cologne West German Radio Orchestra; Reinhard Ehritt; Heinz Walter Florin; Thomas Gabrisch; Alfredo Marucci; Et al
— listening CD —
By Cologne West German Radio Orchestra; Reinhard Ehritt; Heinz Walter Florin; Thomas Gabrisch; Alfredo Marucci; Et al. By Werner Bochmann. Listening CD. Published by Capriccio (NX.C10885).
— listening CD —
By Bochmann; English String Orchestra; Boughton. By Vaughan Williams; Delius. Listening CD. Published by Nimbus Records (NX.NI5208).
- Corpo e Alma (2008), chamber opera
Orchestral and larger instrumental works
- Three Hodies (1972)
- Four Rhythmic Studies (1973)
- Tableaux Concertants (1976)
- Nimbus (1977)
- Gestures I,III,IV (1982) for various groupings
- Aleafonia Concertante I,II,III (1984-86) for chamber orch.
- Em Homenagem (1984)
- Epitaph (1991)
- Metaphors (1996)
- Monograph Expanded (1997) for piano and orchestra
- Linus (2002) for orchestra
- Lupercalia (2002) for orchestra
- Symphony (2005) for orchestra
Orchestra and voices
- Accede ad ignem hunc (1970) for reciter and instruments
- Eventail (1974) for choir, brass and cellos.
- The Round Horizon (1982) for Mezzo, girls’choir, orch.
- Plaint (1987) for reciter, choir, chamber orch.
- Epistle (1991) for 16 voices and instruments.
- Songs for Simeon (1992) for Sop, Bar, choirs, orch.
- Miserere Mei (1994) for 5 reciters, chamber orch.
- Cicero Dixit (2006) for reciter, Alto solo, double choir, 15 insts.
- Prayer of Mary Queen of Scots (1976) for 6 male voices
- Chamber Étude no.2 (1977) for 6 male voices
- Motets for Holy Week (1980-83)
- O Vos Omnes (1980) for 7-part choir
- Crux Fidelis (1983) for 4-part choir
- Salvator Mundi (1983) for 3-part choir
- Ecce Lignum (1983) for 1-part choir
- Gestures II (1982) for mixed choir
- Ego Sum Resurrectio et Vita (1985) for 10 voices
- Motets for Christmas (1987-9)
- O Magnum Mysterium (1987) for 12-part choir
- Lux Fulgebit (1988) for 15-part choir
- Verbum Caro Factum Est (1989) for 13-part choir
- Hodie Christus Natus Est (1989) for 15-part choir
- Echoes (1991) for 12 female voices
- Maria Matos Medley (1997) for 7 solo voices
- Magnificat (1998) for 12 solo voices
- My monstrous mountain’d walke (1999) for 6 solo voices
- Morning (2000) for 7 solo voices
- Leipziger Motetten (2002) for 5 male voices
- Laudate Dominum (2004) for 12 solo voices
- Snakes of Silver Throat (1976) for wind 8tet.
- Hymn (1979) for 8 clars.
- Stars (1980) for 25 flutes
- Mobiles for Alexandra (1985) for Wind and Double Basses
- Melodies and Mobiles (1990) for clars, vlns and perc.
- Epigrams (1991) for Sop, Bar, hpchd, org, string 4tet.
- Song for Elizabeth (1992) for 13 strings.
- Sonnet (1993) for Tenor, pf, hp, perc, 4 vc, 7 male vces.
- Motet (1994) for 15 insts
- Metamorphoses (1995) for 11 insts.
- Musette (1995) for Sopr,fl,cl,pf,vn,vc
- Memorial to Jorge Luís Borges (1999) for Bar, a-fl, b-cl, guit, vc, 2 perc, 4 vla.
- Lacrimae (2001) for ob d’am.,fl,cl,vibr,pf,vn,vla,vc
- Lament (2001) for 15 instruments
- Lauda (2002) for solo clarinet and orchestra of 21 clarinets
- 7 Lessons (2003) for fl, ob, ten.sax, vn, pf
- Leituras de Liberdade (2003) for Soprano, fl, cl, hp, pf, vn, vla, vc.
- Canzona I for the 80th birthday of Pierre Boulez (2005) for Cl, Bn, Hn, Vn, Vla, Vc, Cb
- Op.27 plus (2008) commentaries on Webern: Op.27/1 for fl, cl, pf, 2 vn, vc.
- Canzona II (2008) for eleven instruments
- Three Dances (1968) for 3 guit.
- De Profundis (1970) for vln, vc, pf.
- Three Bagatelles (1971) for wind 5tet
- String Quartet no.1 (1972)
- Petite Sérénade (1973) for fl, vla, hp.
- Dies Irae (1973) for 2 tpt, 2 trb, timp.
- Complainte de la Lune en Province (1974) for Tenor, guit.
- Chamber Étude no.1 (1975) for ob, cor, bn, hpchd.
- String Quartet no.2 (1976)
- Introit (1977) for string 4tet.
- Dialogue I (1978) for fl, perc.
- Vespers (1978) for clar, pf.
- Wind Quintet no.1 (1978)
- Wind Quintet no.2 (1979)
- Arabesque (1979) for clar, mezzo-sop, vln, perc.
- Wind Trio (1980) for ob, clar, bn.
- Toccata (1980) for 2 pfs.
- Dialogue II (1981) for vc, pf.
- Brass Quintet (1983)
- The Thinnest Hair (1984) for Tenor, hp.
- String Quartet no.3 (1986)
- Boreas (1988) for 4 clars.
- Out of the Deep (1988) for vla, vc, cb.
- Gusts (1989) for fl, clar.
- Six or Seven Sketches - Wind Quintet no.3 (1992)
- Movements (1994) for Saxophone Quartet
- Madrigal (1994) for 3 cb.
- Meander (1995) for 5 violas.
- Mutations (1996) for 4 clars
- Music I for two pianos (1998)
- …..manhosamente….. (2000) for Sopr, pf.
- Metastrophe (2000) for fl,cl,bn,vc.
- Miniatures in memoriam Tom Eastwood (2001) for 2vn,vla.
- Monumentum in memoriam Robert Sherlaw Johnson (2001) for stg 4tet
- String Quartet no.4 (2001)
- Lied der Liebe (2002) for Sopr, vn, vc, pf.
- Meeres Stille (2003) for Sopr, pf
- My Ladye Celia’s Songbooke (2004) for Bar., pf.
- Music II for two pianos (2006)
- Coelum non animum (2006) for soprano, alto sax, hn, vibr, pf
- Cantiga (2007) for flute and piano.
- Canticle (2008) for Sopr, 2 tenors, 2 recorders, vc
- Piano Sonata no.1 (1971)
- Partita no.1 (1972) for vln.
- Piano Sonata no.2 “Sanctus” (1976)
- 3 pieces (1976) for fl.
- Requiescat (1977) for wood perc.
- Partita no.2 (1978) for vln.
- Sonata (1979) for vc.
- Preludes (1979) for pf.
- Sonata-Fantasia (1980) for guit.
- Essay I (1980) for trb.
- Elegy (1981) for fl.
- Essay II (1981) for organ.
- Essay III (1981) for vln.
- Essay IV (1981) for hp.
- Essay V (1982) for vla.
- Essay VI (1982) for voice.
- Essay VII (1990) for guit.
- Essay VIII (1991) for pf.
- Snow on Distant Hills (1992) for clar.
- Essay IX (1993) for tpt.
- Essay X (1993) for recorder.
- Monograph (1994) for pf.
- Monograms I–V (1995–2000) for clarinet
- Monogram I for A.S.D. (1995
- Monogram II for E.C. (1999)
- Monogram III for S.A. (1999)
- Monogram IV for C.C. (2000)
- Monogram V for C.F. (2000)
- Essay XI (2000) for harpsichord
- 18 Miniatures (2001) for pf.
- Essay XII (2001) for double bass
- Essay XIII (2001) for alto saxophone
- Lied I (2002) for vln.
- Leise, leise (2002) for vla.
- Letter to Ricardo Tacuchian (2003) for pf
- Lampoons (2003) for tenor saxophone
- Essay XIV (2003) for horn
- Essay XV (2004) for oboe
- Lumen (2004) for metal percussion
- Lied II (2004) for vc.
- Cartoon (2005) for baritone saxophone
- Essay XVI (2006) for bassoon
- Cantilena (2006) for alto fl.
- Commentaries on Notations by Pierre Boulez (2007) for pf
- Capriccio (2007) for soprano sax.
- Commentaire sur le 2ème mouvement de Et Expecto de Messiaen (2008) for oboe
- Carrolling Bach: Two Fantasies for piano (2008)
- Chiaroscuro (2008) for bass clarinet
- Lied III (2009) for viola
- Fauré: Messe Basse (1991) for female voices and string orch.
- Webern: 4 pieces Op.4 (1992) for eleven instruments
- Debussy: 3 Preludes (1994) for Chamber orch.
- Schoenberg: Sechs Kleine Stucke Op.19 (1995) for Chamber orch.
- Ivo Cruz: Homenagem a Manuel de Falla (1996) for Chamber orch.
- Tressler: Thoughts (1996) for Chamber orch.
- Miguel Ângelo Pereira: Eurico - Recitativo e Cavatina (1997) for Tenor and Chamber Orch.
- Webern: 3 Kleine Stücke Op.11 (1997) for Chamber Orch.
- Stockhausen: Three orchestrations of Klavierstück III (1998) for fl, cl, bn, hn, vn, vla, vc.
- Debussy: 7 Preludes (1999) for 12 wind insts.
- Reger: Aria Op.103A no.3 (1999) for String Orch.
- Tressler: Ballade (2000) for Chamber Orch.
- Tressler: Burla (2001) for Chamber Orch.
- Seixas: Tocata e Minuete (2003) for Chamber Orch.
- Debussy: La cathédrale engloutie (2003) for Brass Choir
- Fauré: Requiem (2005) for chamber orch
- Ravel: Sonatine (2007) for 11 insts
- Schönberg: 6 kleine Stücke Op.19 (2007) for 11 insts
- Honegger: Sept pièces brèves (2007) for 11 insts.
- Dallapiccola: Quaderno Musicale di Annalibera (2007) for 11 insts.
- Tressler: Waltz (2007) for Chamber Orch.
- Bomtempo: Sonata Op.9 no.3 (2009) for Chamber Orch.
- 1.Classical Sonata (1974) for harpsichord
- 2.Suite (1975) for vc, cb
- From which: Air (1976) for String Orchestra
- 3.Sonata da chiesa (1976) for cl, pf
- 4.Ludus polytonalis (1977) for cl, vc
- 5.a. Prayers to the wind (1980) for 2 vlas
- b. Minha Tírcia é tão bella (1980) variations for 3 vlas
- 6.a. Invention on a mordent (1973) for 7 flutes
- b. Introduction and aria (1973) for 6 cl
- c. Caprice (1980) for 5 ob
- Christmas Cantata (1973) for girls’ voices, insts
- Os Pastores (1978): Cantata for children’s voices, orch.
- Os Magos (1979): Cantata for children’s voices, orch.
- Four pieces (1979) for 4 trb.
- Gavotte (1980) for 2 rec, cl.
- A Anunciação (1980): Cantata for children’s voices, orch.
- 5 Pieces in the first position (1980) for vc, pf
- Mosaic of the Air (2000) for student orchestra
- Lyric (2002) for flutes, recorders and strings
- Lyric 2 (2003) for flutes, clarinetes, violins, ´cellos
- O amanhecer de um dia novo – 30 pieces for pf (1980-2003)
- 6 Easy pieces (1980)
- 6 Polytonal pieces (1980)
- 6 Modal pieces (1980)
- 6 Pantonal pieces (2003)
- 6 Dodecaphonic pieces (2003)
Arrangements for choir
Brazilian popular music
- Peixe Vivo (1978)
- Despedida do Pastoril (1979)
- Cavalo Marinho (1979)
- Boas Festas (1979)
- Prece ao Vento (1979)
- Pastorinhas (1984)
- A Garota de Ipanema (x2) — 1. SATB (1984) 2. T,Bar, Bar,B.(1995)
- Só Danço Samba — T,Bar,Bar,B. (1995)
- *God rest you merry gentlemen (1973)
- *Coventry carol (1973)
- *The first nowell (1973)
- *Noite Feliz (Silent Night)(1979)
- *Loa de Natal (1979)
- *Ao bom Jesus saudemos (x2)(1979)
- *Away in a Manger (x2)
- *Quem Pastores laudavere
- Ding, dong, merrily on high
- *Angels from the realms of glory
- *O little one sweet
- *Past three o’clock
- *Adam lay ybounden (P.Warlock)
- *Wither’s Rocking Hymn (Vaughan Williams)
- *Il est né le divin enfant
- *O Tannenbaum
- *O little town of Bethlehem
- *Frim, fram, frum.
- *Natal de Elvas I (1995)
- *Menino Jesus à lapa (1996)
- *Natal de Elvas II (1997)
* published as Canções de Natal/Christmas Carols by Musicoteca (1999)
- If the nightingales (1989)
- Once in a while (1989)
- There goes the ball game (1989)
- Dallas blues (1990)
- Os cantores do Rádio (1994)
- I never dreamt (2003)
- Friday Night Rag (2003)
- Garota de Ipanema for String 4tet (1986)
- Venham mais cinco 1. for 8 vc. (1995) 2. for 6 vc. (2000)
- Crazy little thing called love for 4 clar. (1997)
- Somebody to love for 4 clar. (1997)
- 2 Portuguese Christmas Songs
- Oh, bento airoso (2003) for sopr and orch.
- José embala o menino (2003) for sopr and orch.
Christopher Bochmann (born 1950) was a chorister at St. George´s Chapel, Windsor Castle, and then went on to Radley College. He studied privately with Nadia Boulanger in Paris before going up to New College, Oxford, where he worked with David Lumsden, Kenneth Leighton and Robert Sherlaw Johnson. He was also a pupil of Richard Rodney Bennett in London.
He has taught in Britain and in Brazil and, since 1980, has lived and worked in Lisbon, Portugal. He has taught in various music schools in Lisbon. From 1986 to 2006, he taught at the Escola Superior de Música de Lisboa, of which he was Director for six years and where he was Head of Composition for sixteen years. Since 2006, he has been Head of the Music Department of the University of Évora, where he is now Head of the School of the Arts.
Since 1984, he has conducted the Orquestra Sinfónica Juvenil (Lisbon Youth Orchestra), with which he has given over 600 concerts all over Portugal and with which he has also recorded three CD’s of his own works.
As a composer he has won a number of important prizes including the Lili Boulanger Award (twice) and the Clements Memorial Prize. In 1999, he received the degree of Doctor of Music from Oxford University. In 2004 he was awarded a Medal of Cultural Merit by the Portuguese Ministry of Culture. In 2005, he was awarded an O.B.E. (Officer of the Order of the British Empire) by the Queen.
His works include music for almost all genres, with a special accent on Chamber Music. His musical style has been through a phase of considerable complexity and has made much use of aleatoric procedures. In recent years, his works have become somewhat simpler, thus following certain aspects of a post-modernist trend without resorting to neo-tonality. In his vocal music, he is especially interested in exploring both phonetic and semantic aspects of the text. All of his music shows a concern with the relativity of the way in which we hear and appreciate sound, in an attempt to make compositional processes and structuring techniques increasingly closely based on intrinsically musical criteria. In addition to an extensive list of original works covering almost all genres, Christopher Bochmann has made many orchestrations and arrangements.