Vous êtes ici
Warning: images may be copyrighted. If no copyright is shown, see their site of origin for details, or contact me.
Sheet music for Giedrius Kuprevicius
Hereafter Kuprevičius most important works are mentioned:
- Hunt of Mammoths - music for Kazys Saja play, staged at Kaunas Drama Theatre by Jonas Jurašas (1968)
- Pagan Cantos for the choir
- Eight Lithuanian Folk Songs for the string quartet (1969)
- Herkus Mantas - music for the film produced by Marijonas Giedrys
- Devynbėdžiai - musical (K. Saja play, staged at Panevėžys Drama theater by Juozas Blėdis , 1972)
- Fire Hunt with Beaters - musical (L. Jacinevičius and S. Šaltenis play staged by Dalia Tamulevičiūtė at The Youth Theater ), later the opening performances of this musical where held in the theaters of Latvia, Estonia, Russia, Ukraine, Moldavia.
- There, Inside - one act opera after Maurice Maeterlinck’s play of the same title, staged in Kaunas at The Youth music
- studio by Stanislovas Rubinovas (1976)
- I Send You Best Regards - musical after Violeta Palčinskaitė play staged at Kaunas Music Theater by Gintas Žilys (1986)
- Missa Catacumbae - for the choir, trumpet, trombone, vibraphone, violin and violoncello (1994)
- The Prussians - opera after J. Grusas’s drama play Herkus Mantas, staged at Klaipėda Music Theater by Nerijus Petrokas, conducted by Stasys Domarkas (1995)
- The Child of the open Sea - a ballet after Jules Superviel short story (1996)
- World Creation for the End of XX Century - audiovisual oratorio for the choir, saxophone, synthesator and Egidijus Vaškevičius computer animation
- Songs of Perpetual Wanderer - vocal symphony (R. Tagore’s poetry) (1998)
- Queen Bona - opera (1999-2001)
- Sinfonia Barocco for chamber orchestra, devoted for Pažaislis festival (1999)
- Te Deum - concert for trombone and orchestra (2000)
- Seven Questions and Lamento of David - liturgian drama for violina solo and choir (2001)
- lob - opera (2002)
- Kipras and Fiodoras - operetta (2003)
- DaliGala – opera-zarzuela (2004)
- Adagio Apokalypsis for 2 violini, cello and piano (2004)
- Dialogues: Birds and Bells – for carillon and acustic sounds (2004)
- Melancholic Songs for soprano and symphony orchestra (2004)
Giedrius Kuprevičius is an exceptionally versatile personality, composer, teacher, eassayist and polemicist. The major part of his life and work is related to the second Lithuanian city Kaunas.
There are many interesting turns in the composer’s creative curriculum: from 1980 to 1987 he founded the Argo electronic music group; since 1957 he has played the Kaunas carillon and in 1998 was appointed Kaunas City head carillonist.
In 1975 he wrote one of the most popular musicals in Lithuania, "Fire Hunt and Beaters", which was staged also in Latvia, Estonia, Russia, Ukraine, and Moldova, and the song from the musical "Little Swallows" became a real hit song in Lithuania.
The composer also writes music in traditional classical genres: operas, symphonies chamber works, oratorios, vocal cycles, etc. Giedrius Kuprevičius’ music is moderately modern, many of his works are notably dominated by improvisational element and vivid ties to literature and visual arts. The composer also writes for theatre and film.
Kuprevičius was born on April 8, 1944 in Kaunas, Lithuania, in a family of artists. After finishing Children’s music school, in 1958-1962 he studied composition at the J. Gruodis Higher music school (present Conservatoire). In 1962-1968 he studied at Vilnius, Lithuanian State Conservatoire (present Lithuanian Music and Theatre Academy) where he graduated from composition class of prof. Ed. Balsys and was conferred the qualification of a composer and lecturer of special theoretical subjects of music.
His educational activity has begun since 1966 (almost without intervals). He has worked at the J. Gruodis Higher music school, lectured at facultative modules of music at the Kaunas Academy of Medicine, University of Agriculture, Kaunas Institute of Polytechnics (present Kaunas University of Technology), gave lectures to actors’ course at Vilnius University and lectures of musical improvisation at Kaunas faculties of Music Academy. He has given lectures to the public at Kaunas Public library (a series of 200 lectures Musical Wednesdays). He managed the band of electronic music ARGO of Kaunas Music Theatre. He was a chief of Lithuanian Composers’ Unity for eleven years and was appointed as an editor-in-chief of the Music department of Lithuanian Television. He worked at several public posts: Ministry of Culture (position of vice-minister and chairman of Culture Affairs board), vise-mayor of Kaunas municipality.
From 1990 till 1999 he gave lecturers at the faculty of Arts of Vytautas Magnus University. He have been appointed dean of faculty of Humanities of KTU since January 1, 2000. The book Music in Theater has been handed for printing. A series of lectures Introduction to Music are being finished for publishing.
He am interested in music programming and working with new technologies in art field. Since 1957 he regularly playa on Kaunas carillons (a set of 35 chromatically tuned bells). Concerts in New Zealand, Belgium, Germany, Poland, and The Netherlands. At present he is a senior carillonist of the Kaunas Carillon.
He am a member of Lithuanian Composers’ union and Lithuanian Musicians’ union. The creative activity is represented by the list added to his scientific works.
Kuprevičius has constantly been co-working with Lithuanian media, writing articles on musical publicistics and culturology issues in such journals as Muzikos barai, Santara, Humanistica, Nemunas and Kauno diena since 1968. He has published two essay books - Backward years and It was said . He conducted Lithuanian National TV programs Contrapunctus for a long run. He gives concerts in Lithuania and abroad constantly, takes part at music festivals, congresses and symposiums. He has been a Master-class director at international forums of youth music. He is a member of the world-music group Žaliakalnis Wolves. At present he is running the bachelor programm Music technology in the Kaunas University of Technology and he is a professor at the department of Audiovisual Arts Technologies.