Vous êtes ici
Liste des compositions
Musique de chambre
Find Sheet Music
Use the above search form to find sheet music for "Osvaldas Balakauskas" that is available on Sheet Music Plus.
You support this website by buying sheet music there.
- Requiem in memoriam Stasys Lozoraitis
- 5 Symphonies
- Oboe Concerto
- Piano Concertino
- Ludus Modorum (cello and orchestra)
- Concerto brio (violin and orchestra)
- Concerto RK (violin and chamber orchestra)
- Sinfonia Concertante (violin, piano and orchestra)
- Sonata of the Mountains (piano and orchestra)
- Passio Strumentale (string quartet and orchestra)
- Capriccio (piano and orchestra)
Balakauskas graduated from the Vilnius Pedagogical Institute in 1961 and attended Borys Lyatoshyns’ky’s composition class at Kiev Conservatory in 1969. Balakauskas in his early conservatory years has been influenced by Stockhausen, Boulez, Xenakis and in particular, Webern and Messiaen. However, in the 1960’s, he developed his own harmonic system, which carries a strong sense of tonality, termed the “Balakauskas tonality”. This is radically different from the atonality and serialism of the Second Viennese School. His harmonic system employs specific subsets of notes from the twelve, and the frequent simultaneous use of the minor and major third lends his music a jazzy feeling, although the composer has clarified such being a coincidence.