Vous êtes ici
Donald Francis Tovey
Liste des compositions
Musique de chambre
Sheet music for Donald Francis Tovey
Piano - Advanced
Composed by Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750). Edited by Donald Francis Tovey. Masterworks; Reference Textbooks; Textbook - General. Dover Edition. Baroque; Masterwork. Book. Dover Publications #06-49764X. Published by Dover Publications (AP.6-49764X).
Composed by Donald Francis Tovey. This edition: Saddle stitching. Sheet music. Edition Schott. Op. 4. 58 pages. Schott Music #BSS 28637. Published by Schott Music (HL.49022540).
Composed by Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827). Edited by Barry Cooper. Books. Signature Series (ABRSM). Classical Period, Romantic Period and Instructional. Reference book. 304 pages. ABRSM (Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music) #9781860960864. Published by ABRSM (Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music) (A3.9781860960864).
Clarinet in Bb and piano
Composed by Donald Francis Tovey. This edition: Saddle stitching. Sheet music. Schott. Op. 16. 44 pages. Schott Music #ED 11252. Published by Schott Music (SD.49029784).
Piano and orchestra (2 * 2 * 2 * 2 - 4 * 2 * 0 * 0 - P. - Str.)
Composed by Donald Francis Tovey. Sheet music. Schott. Score. Op. 15. 96 pages. Schott Music #BSS 27817. Published by Schott Music (SD.49022464).
Eine Kleine Geistermusik: Variationen über ein eigenes Thema (A Little Spirit-Music: Variations on an Original Theme) for piano solo
Piano Solo - Advanced Intermediate - Digital Download
Composed by Joseph Dillon Ford. 21st Century, Neo-Classical. Score. 10 pages. Published by David Warin Solomons (S0.435591).
As befitted a renowned scholar and educationist, Tovey’s own music was much
influenced by the classics, especially Brahms, and was considered extremely
‘old-fashioned’ within his lifetime. Now that the fashions of the early 20th
century no longer seem quite so important, it is possible to appreciate his
gifts more realistically.
Selected list of compositions
- The Bride of Dionysus (libretto by R.C. Trevelyan)(1907-18, published 1928, premiere 1932, Edinburgh)
- Piano Concerto in A major, op.15 (1903)
- Symphony in D major, op.32 (1913)
- Cello Concerto in C major, op.40 (1935)
- National March for the Sultan of Zanzibar for military band
- Divertimento for oboe and piano (1899)
- Piano Trio in B minor, op.1 (1900)
- Cello Sonata in F major, op.4 (1900)
- Piano Quintet in C major, op.6 (1900)
- Piano Quartet in E minor, op. 12 (1900)
- Trio for violin, cor anglais and piano, op.14 (1903)
- Trio for clarinet, horn and piano ‘Style tragique’, op.8 (1905)
- Aria and Variations for string quartet, op.11 (1900)
- Clarinet Sonata in F flat, op.16 (1906)
- Sonata for violin and piano (1907)
- String Quartet in G major, op.23 (1909)
- String Quartet in D major, op.24 (1909)
- Elegiac Variations for cello and piano, op.25 (1909)
- Piano Trio in D major, op.27 (1910)
- Variations on a Theme by Gluck for flute and string quartet, op.28 (1913)
- Sonata Eroica in C major for violin unaccompanied, op.29 (1913)
- Sonata in D major for cello unaccompanied (1914)
- Motet ‘In festo sanctorum Innocentium’ (1902)
- 2 sets of songs for bass voice, op.2 (1903)
- A Lyke Wake Dirge for 6-part chorus (1931)
- Bagatelles (1900)
- Allegro and Andate (1900)
- Variations on an original Theme (1900)
- Passacaglia in B minor (1908)
- Balliol Dances for piano duet, op.17
As well as being a virtuoso pianist, editor, scholar, conductor and all-round
educator, Tovey was a composer of considerable mastery. He began composing at
the age of eight, while a piano pupil of Sophie Weisse. He studied Classics in
Oxford, became a protege of Joseph Joachim and had works performed in Berlin
and Vienna. In 1914 became Professor of Music at the Reid School of Music,
Edinburgh University. He founded the Reid Orchestra in 1917 and for its
concerts wrote the famous series of programme notes eventually published
in six volumes as ‘Essays in Musical Analysis’.