Vous êtes ici
Warning: images may be copyrighted. If no copyright is shown, see their site of origin for details, or contact me.
Liste des compositions
Musique de chambre
Compositions sorted on opus (if available)
Sheet music for Bernard Stevens
Piano Solo,Flute,Guitar — Sheet Music Single — Post-Romantic,Sacred,World,Anniversary,Wedding
Composed by James Michael Stevens and James Michael Stevens. Arranged by James Michael Stevens and James Michael Stevens. Post-Romantic, Sacred, World, Anniversary, Wedding. Sheet Music Single. 6 pages. Published by James M Stevens Music ASCAP (S0.180829).
Felix Mendelssohn: Symphonies No. 3 & 4 — David Bernard; Park Avenue Chamber Symphony; David Bernard
— listening CD — Classical
By David Bernard; Park Avenue Chamber Symphony; David Bernard. By Felix Bartholdy Mendelssohn (1809-1847). Country of Origin: United States. Classical. Listening CD. Published by Naxos (NX.RC2057019).
Piano Solo,Double Bass,Guitar,Bass Guitar — Sheet Music Single — Post-Romantic,Jazz,Smooth Jazz,Valentine's Day,Wedding
Composed by James Michael Stevens. Arranged by James Michael Stevens. Post-Romantic, Jazz, Smooth Jazz, Valentine's Day, Wedding. Sheet Music Single. 5 pages. Published by James M Stevens Music ASCAP (S0.345643).
String Orchestra — score and set of parts —
Arranged by Bernard-Stevens. Score and set of parts. Published by Grand Mesa Music (GC.GMMOR55-SET).
String Orchestra — score —
Arranged by Bernard-Stevens. Score. Published by Grand Mesa Music (GC.GMMOR55-SCORE).
Voice — Part — Post-1900
Composed by Bernard Stevens (1916-1983). Post-1900. Part. Novello & Co Ltd. #MUSNOV070426. Published by Novello & Co Ltd. (HL.14002592).
Orchestra — Study Score —
Composed by Bernard Stevens (1916-1983). Study Score. Novello & Co Ltd. #MUSNOV090518. Published by Novello & Co Ltd. (BT.MUSNOV090518).
2 Pianos — Book Only —
Composed by Bernard Stevens (1916-1983). Book Only. Alfred Lengnick & Co #AL 1243P. Published by Alfred Lengnick & Co (BT.AL-1243P).
Piano — Book Only —
Composed by Bernard Stevens (1916-1983). Book Only. Alfred Lengnick & Co #AL 0405. Published by Alfred Lengnick & Co (BT.AL-0405).
— Book Only — Folk British Isles
Composed by Bernard Stevens (1916-1983). Folk British Isles. Book Only. Alfred Lengnick & Co #AL 0408. Published by Alfred Lengnick & Co (BT.AL-0408).
- The Shadow of the Glen, chamber opera in one act after J.M. Synge, op. 50
- Violin Concerto, op. 4 (1942–3)
- Ricercar for strings, op. 6 (1944)
- Symphony of Liberation (Symphony No. 1), op. 7 (1941–5)
- Sinfonietta for strings, op. 10 (1948)
- Cello Concerto, op. 18 (1952)
- Piano Concerto (original version in 3 movements, op.26, 1954-5; revised version in 2 movements, op. 54, 1981)
- Dance Suite, op. 28 (1957)
- Symphony No.2, op. 35 (1964)
- Variations for orchestra, op. 36 (1964)
- Choriamb for orchestra, op. 41 (1968)
- Mass for double chorus (1938–9)
- The Pilgrims of Hope, cantata op. 27 (1956 rev. 1968)
- Et resurrexit, cantata, op. 43 (1969)
- Hymn to Light, motet, op. 44 (1970)
- The True Dark, song-cycle, op. 49 (1974)
Chamber and Instrumental Works
- Toccata and Fugue on a 12-note theme for piano (1936)
- Violin Sonata, op. 1 (1940)
- Piano Trio, op. 3 (1942)
- Theme and Variations for string quartet, op. 11 (1949)
- Fantasia for 2 violins and piano, op. 20 (1952)
- Fantasia on Giles Farnaby’s Dreame for piano, op.22 (1953; also orchestrated as op. 47, 1972)
- Fantasia on a Theme of Dowland for violin and piano, op. 23 (1953)
- Piano Sonata, op. 25 (1954)
- Lyric Suite for string trio, op. 30 (1958)
- String Quartet No. 2, op. 34 (1962)
- Trio for horn, violin and piano, op 38 (1966)
- Suite for 6 instruments, op. 40 (1967)
- The Bramble Briar — ballad for guitar, op. 45 (1970)
- Improvisation for solo viola, op. 48 (1973)
- Autumn Sequence for guitar and harpsichord, op. 52 (1980)
- Concertante for 2 pianos, op. 55 (1982)
Studied in Cambridge with E.J. Dent and Cyril Rootham, then Royal college of
Music, London with R.O. Morris and Gordon Jacob. Attracted the attention of Max
Rostal in 1940 with his Op. 1 Violin Sonata — Rostal commissioned a Violin
Concerto which Stevens wrote while on war service. After the war, his ‘Symphony
of Liberation’won first prize in a newspaper-sponsored competition for a
Victory Symphony to celebrate the end of the war. A friend of Alan Bush,
Randall Swingler and Montaguye Slater, Stevens had strong so
cialist affiliations but resigned from the Communist Party in 1956 in protest
against the suppression of the Hungarian uprising. He was a distinguished
teacher — Professor of Composition at the RCM from 1948 and at the University
of London from 1967. His pupils included Michael Finnissy.