You are here
Julian (Jules) Fontana
Warning: images may be copyrighted. If no copyright is shown, see their site of origin for details, or contact me.
Compositions sorted on opus (if available)
Sheet music for Julian Fontana
Piano Solo — Individual Part — Baroque Period
Composed by Julian Hou. Arranged by Julian Hou. Baroque Period. Individual Part. 6 pages. Published by Julian Hou (S0.429939).
Song to Me - the music and songs of Julian Wagstaff (complete performing edition) — WAGSTAFF, Julian
Piano Solo,Piano/Vocal/Chords,Clarinet,Cello,Piano Trio,Soprano Voice,Tenor Voice,Voice Duet,Two voices and piano trio (clarinet,cello and piano) — Piano Reduction,Score,Set of Parts — 21st Century,Opera,Post-Romantic,Broadway,Musicals
Composed by WAGSTAFF, Julian. 21st Century, Opera, Post-Romantic, Broadway, Musicals. Piano Reduction, Score, Set of Parts. 317 pages. Published by Julian Wagstaff (S0.307303).
Full Orchestra — Score — 21st Century,Post-Romantic,Musicals,Fourth of July,Patriotic
Composed by WAGSTAFF, Julian. 21st Century, Post-Romantic, Musicals, Fourth of July, Patriotic. Score. 58 pages. Julian Wagstaff #JJW0004. Published by Julian Wagstaff (S0.27735).
— CD —
By Julian Bream Consort; Julian Bream. By John Dowland (1563-1626). CD. Published by RCA Legacy (NX.RCA7801).
violin and basso continuo — score and set of parts — Baroque period
Composed by G.B. Fontana. Edited by Alessandro Bares. This edition: Paperback. I piaceri del violino. Baroque period. Score and set of parts. Musedita Edizioni Musicali #FO 1 06. Published by Musedita Edizioni Musicali (M8.FO-1-06).
violin (soprano recorder) and basso continuo — —
Heft 1: Nr. 1, 2. Composed by Giovanni Battista Fontana. Edited by Friedrich Cerha. String music. Diletto Musicale. 16 + 9 pages pages. Doblinger Music Publishers #DM-00013. Published by Doblinger Music Publishers (DB.DM-00013).
violin/soprano recorder, guitar, cello — — chamber music
Fur Violine/Sopranblockflote und Gitarre, Violoncello (Bass) ad lib. (Venedig 1641). Composed by Giovanni Battista Fontana. Edited by Friedrich Cerha. Arranged by Wolfgang Jungwirth. String music. Diletto Musicale. Chamber music. 6 pages pages. Doblinger Music Publishers #GKM-00155. Published by Doblinger Music Publishers (DB.GKM-00155).
violin and piano — —
Composed by Giovanni Battista Fontana. Edited by Friedrich Cerha. String music. Diletto Musicale. 16 + 8 pages pages. Doblinger Music Publishers #DM-00014. Published by Doblinger Music Publishers (DB.DM-00014).
1-3 violins, bassoon (or viola da gamba or cello) and basso continuo — score and set of parts — Baroque period
Composed by G.B. Fontana. Edited by Alessandro Bares. This edition: Paperback. Concerto de varii stromenti. Baroque period. Score and set of parts. Musedita Edizioni Musicali #FO 1 SO. Published by Musedita Edizioni Musicali (M8.FO-1-SO).
violin (recorder) and basso continuo — —
Composed by Giovanni Battista Fontana. Edited by Esther Zumbrunn. Sheet music. Amadeus Verlag #BP 466. Published by Amadeus Verlag (M7.BP-466).
- Marche funebre, opus 1
- Dieux Caprices; Paris, Schlesinger
- Reverie, opus 2 ; idem
- Le reine de Chypre, morceau de salon; idem
- Fantasie sur le Duc d’Olone; Paris chez Tropenas
- Souvenir de Weber sur l’opera d’Oberon; ibidem
- Fantasie sur les motifs de Freyschutz, Paris, ibidem
- Elegie; Mayence, Schott
- Douze Reveries sur piano en deux suites,opus 8 ; ibidem and Paris, chez Flaxland 1862
- Douze morceaux caracteristiques en forme d’etudes, en deux suites; ibidem
- Reminiscences de la Havana, composees put les concerts, opus 10; Paris, Brandus
- Lolita, grande valse brillante, opus 11; ibidem and Paris, chez Tropenas 1845
- Souvenirs de l’Ile de Cuba, opus 12; Paris, chez Tropenas 1847
- Grande Valse Brillante; Paris, Tropensa, et a Mayence, chez Schott
- Fantasie sur la Somnanbule, opus 14; ibidem
- Feuille d’Album, deux Mazureks; Paris, chez Tropenas
- Fantasie sur la Somnanbule; ibidem
- Ballade; ibidem
- Nocturne, opus 18; Mayence, chez Schott et Paris, J. Messonnier Fils; nd
- Rhapsodie a la Polka, opus 19; New York, chez Kerksieg et Breusing, c. 1849; Paris, chez Brandas & Cie; Mayence, chez B. Schott
- Deux Romances originales
- Third of May Song; Philadelphia, Fiot, Meighen & Co. c. 1850
Chopin posthumous publications
- Fantasie Impromptu, opus 66; Paris, Maison J Messonier Fils, 1855
- Quatre Mazurkas, No. 1 a 4, opus 67; idem
- Quatre Mazurkas, No. 5 a 8, opus 68; idem
- Deux Valses, No. 1 et 2, opus 69; idem
- Trois Valses, No. 1 a 5, opus 70; idem
- Trois Polonaises, No. 1, 2 and 3, opus 71; idem
- Nocturne, Marche Funebre et 3 Ecossaises, opus 72 ; idem
- Rondo a Deux Pianos, opus 73; idem
- Zbior spiewow poslkich (Polish Songs), opus 74; Warsaw, Gebenther & Co, 1859
Julian Fontana was born in Poland. He exiled after the revolution against Russia 1830–31. Fontana resided in Paris from approximately 1832 till 1843. He was an associate of Chopin during this time. He edited Chopin’s music and had his music published with various publishers throughout Europe. Fontana travelled to the US and married. He returned to Paris around 1852. He was authorized by the Chopin family for publication of unpublished manuscripts. He took his life, after many years of illness and deafnes, in Paris in 1869.
He published Chopin’s Posthumous Works, opus 66-74, from 1855-1859.
Julius Fontana is buried in the Cimetiere Montmartre in Paris.