You are here
Opera and lyrical music
Sheet music for Lennox Berkeley
For Guitar. Composed by Lennox Berkeley (1903-1989). Edited by Peter Dickinson fing. Julian Bream. Arranged by Julian Bream. Music Sales America. Classical. Softcover. 13 pages. Chester Music #CH79772. Published by Chester Music (HL.14041941).
Bassoon, Clarinet, Oboe, Piano, Woodwind Quintet, Horn (Score & Parts)
For Oboe, Clarinet. Horn, Bassoon & Piano. Composed by Lennox Berkeley (1903-1989). Music Sales America. Classical. Chester Music #CH55072. Published by Chester Music (HL.14004181).
Treble recorder (flute) and piano (Recorder) - advanced
For treble recorder or flute and piano. Composed by Lennox Berkeley (1903-1989). Edited by Manuel Jacobs. This edition: Saddle stitching. Sheet music. Originalmusik fur Blockflote (Recorder Library). The edition is part of the ABRSM syllabus (grade 7). Contemporary, Classical. Op. 13. 16 pages. Schott Music #OFB1040. Published by Schott Music (HL.49011198).
Chamber Ensemble (Score & Parts)
Composed by Lennox Berkeley (1903-1989). Music Sales America. Classical. 50 pages. Chester Music #CH00271. Published by Chester Music (HL.14004204).
Choral (SATB Choir)
Op.21 No.1. Composed by Lennox Berkeley (1903-1989). Music Sales America. Sacred, Classical. Octavo. 12 pages. Chester Music #CH07737. Published by Chester Music (HL.14004168).
Piano - Digital Download
By Lennox Berkeley. Classical. 2 pages. Published by Hal Leonard - Digital Sheet Music (HX.23017).
- Antiphon, Op95 (1973); 13min; Str
- Batter My Heart, Three Person’d God, Op60 No1 (1962); 13min; Sop, Chorus, Chamber
- Colonus’ Praise (1948); 14min; Chorus, Orch
- Concerto for Cello (1939); 20min; Cello, Orch
- Concerto for Flute, Op36 (1952); 21min; Flute, Sm Orch
- Concerto for Guitar, Op88 (1974); 22min; Guitar, Sm Orch
- Concerto for Piano and Double String Orchestra, Op46 (1958); 23min; Piano, Str
- Concerto for Piano in B-flat, Op29 (1947); 24min; Piano, Orch
- Concerto for Two Pianos, Op30 (1948); 30min; 2Piano, Orch
- Concerto for Violin, Op59 (1961); 22min; Violin, Sm Orch
- Dialogue, Op79 (1970); 17min; Cello, Sm Orch
- Diversions for Eight Instruments, Op63 (1964); 18min; Chamber
- Divertimento in B-flat, Op18 (1943); 17min; Sm Orch
- Domini est Terra, Op10 (1938); 9min; Chorus, Orch
- Elegy (arrangement) (1978); 3min; Str
- Fanfare for the Royal Academy of Music Banquet (1972); 1min; Chamber
- Five Pieces, Op56 (1961); 19min; Violin, Orch
- Four Poems of St Teresa of Avila, Op27 (1947); 14min; Alto, Str
- Four Ronsard Sonnets, Set 2, Op62 (1963); 18min; Tenor, Orch
- Interlude from "Nelson" (1955); 5min; Orch
- Introduction and Allegro, Op11 (1938); 14min; 2Piano, Orch
- Jonah (1935); 60min; Sop Alt Ten Bass, Chorus, Orch
- Magnificat, Op71 (1968); 22min; Chorus, Orch
- Nocturne, Op25 (1946); 11min; Orch
- Overture for Light Orchestra (1959); 7min; Orch
- Palm Court Music, Op81 No2 (1971); 7min; Orch
- Partita, Op66 (1965); 12min; Sm Orch
- Serenade for Strings, Op12 (1939); 14min; Str
- Signs in the Dark, Op69 (1967); 22min; Chorus, Str
- Sinfonia Concertante, Op84 (1973); 24min; Oboe, Orch
- Sinfonietta, Op34 (1950); 13min; Orch
- Stabat Mater for chamber ensemble, Op28 (1947); 33min; 2Sop Alt Ten Bari Bass, Sm Orch
- Suite for Orchestra (1953); Orch
- Suite for Stings, Op87 (1974); 11min; Str
- Suite from "Nelson", Op42 (1955); 16min; Orch
- Suite: The Winter’s Tale, Op54 (1960); 16min; Orch
- Symphony No1, Op16 (1940); 33min; Orch
- Symphony No2, Op51 (1958); 29min; Orch
- Symphony No3 in One Movement, Op74 (1969); 15min; Orch
- Symphony No4, Op94 (1978); 30min; Orch
- Variations on a Hymn by Orlando Gibbons, Op35 (1951); 18min; Tenor, Chorus, Org, Str
- Voices of the Night, Op86 (1973); 10min; Orch
- Windsor Variations, Op75 (1969); 12min; Sm Orch
(Contribution by Stephen P Brown <email@example.com>)
Lennox Berkeley was born in Oxford, England, and was educated at Gresham’s and Merton College, Oxford. In 1927, he went to Paris to study music with Nadia Boulanger, and there he became acquainted with Francis Poulenc, Igor Stravinsky, Darius Milhaud, Arthur Honegger and Albert Roussel. The French influence would continue to be felt in his music. He worked for the BBC during the Second World War, and later became president of the Performing Rights Society. He was knighted in 1974. He held the chair of Professor of Composition at the Royal Academy of Music from 1946 to 1968, and his pupils there included Richard Rodney Bennett, David Bedford and John Tavener.
His son, Michael Berkeley, is also a composer.
(Contribution by <firstname.lastname@example.org>.)