You are here
Warning: images may be copyrighted. If no copyright is shown, see their site of origin for details, or contact me.
Sheet music for Constantine Caravassilis
Violin — Book Only — Baroque
By Demetrius Constantine Dounis. By Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750). Edited by Demetrius Constantine Dounis. Baroque. Book Only. Novello & Co Ltd. #MUSNOV120528. Published by Novello & Co Ltd. (HL.14037289).
Violin — Book Only — Classical
Composed by Demetrius Constantine Dounis. Classical. Book Only. Novello & Co Ltd. #MUSNOV120525. Published by Novello & Co Ltd. (HL.14022699).
— CD — Classical
By Andrew Constantine and BBC National Orchestra of Wales. By George Whitfield Chadwick and Edward Elgar (1857-1934). Classical. CD. Naxos #ORC100074. Published by Naxos (NX.ORC100074).
— CD — Classical
By Constantine Orbelian, Dmitri Hvorostovsky, St. Petersburg State Symphony Orchestra, and Style of Five Ensemble. By Georgy Sviridov. Classical. CD. Delos #DE 1631. Published by Delos (NX.DE-1631).
Piano Concerto / Masquerade Suite / G — Constantine Orbelian; Neeme Jarvi; Royal Scottish National Orchestra
— listening CD —
By Constantine Orbelian; Neeme Jarvi; Royal Scottish National Orchestra. By Aram Ilyich Khachaturian (1903-1978). Listening CD. Published by Chandos (NX.CHAN-8542).
— listening CD —
By Constantine Orbelian; Neeme Jarvi; Philharmonia Orchestra. By Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky (1840-1893). Listening CD. Published by Chandos (NX.CHAN-6696).
Dmitri Hvorostovsky sings of War, Peace, Love and Sorrow — Dmitri Hvorostovsky; Asmik Grigorian; Irina Shishkova; Mikhail Guzhov; Igor Morozov; Vadim Volkov; Constantine Orbelian; "Evgeny Svetlanov" Academic State Symphony Orchestra of Russia; Helikon-Opera Chorus
— listening CD — Classical
By Dmitri Hvorostovsky; Asmik Grigorian; Irina Shishkova; Mikhail Guzhov; Igor Morozov; Vadim Volkov; Constantine Orbelian; "Evgeny Svetlanov" Academic State Symphony Orchestra of Russia; Helikon-Opera Chorus. By Sergei Prokofiev; Anton Rubinstein; Pyotr Il'yich Tchaikovsky. Classical. Listening CD. Published by Delos (NX.DE-3517).
— listening CD — Classical
By Lawrence Brownlee; Kaunas City Symphony; Kaunas State Choir; Constantine Orbelian. By Vincenzo Bellini; Gaetano Donizetti. Classical. Listening CD. Published by Delos (NX.DE-3515).
— listening CD —
By Constantine Orbelian. By Shostakovich; Mozart; Bach. Listening CD. Published by Delos (NX.DE-1043).
Bass Clarinet in Bb, Clarinet 1 in Bb, Clarinet 2 in Bb, Clarinet 3 in Bb, Clarinet in Eb, Contra-alto, Flute 1, Flute 2, Oboe 1, Oboe 2, Piccolo, alto Clarinet in Eb — Full Score —
Composed by Edvard Grieg (1843-1907). Arranged by John Constantine. Full Score. With Standard notation. Theodore Presser Company #115-40101F. Published by Theodore Presser Company (PR.11540101F).
- Piano concerto No.1 “Canadian Rhapsody”
- Piano concerto No.2 “Homage to Dmitri Shostakovich”
- Piano concerto No. 3 (working title)
- Concertino for Marimba (Tales from the Earth and Skies)
- Ammochostos (double concerto for Saxophone and Violoncello)
- Cello Concerto No. 1 Conversing with Blavatsky
- Concerto for Synaesthetes (for 3 solo celli and cello orchestra)
- Lament for the End of Time (full orchestra)
- Symphony No. 1 Imperial (in progress)
- Galaxy of Voices (tape and orchestra)
- Winged Victory of Samothrace (full orchestra, soprano)
- Message in a Bottle (string orchestra)
- Six Stonehearted Images (for 2 flutes)
- The Songbird Suite (ob, cla, vla, vlc)
- String Quartet No. 1 (of the Youth)
- String Quartet No. 2 (of the Spirits)
- Piano Quartet “1824” (vln, vlc, cla, pno)
- Piano Quintet No. 1 “Red October”
- Piano Quintet No.2 “Imago Poetae”
- Music for 10 instruments (currently withdrawn from circulation)
- 3 vocales for high soprano and chamber orchestra
- Murdering a Silent Soul (cla, ob, hn, vla, pno)
- Baroque Revisited (for string Quartet)
- Winged Victory of Samothrace (String 7tet, soprano)
- First Chamber Concerto (in progress)
- Thalassographies Vol.I (mezzo and baroque trio)
- Thalassographies Vol.II (soprano and chamber orchestra)
- Thalassographies Vol.III (soprano and piano)
- The Newfoundland Cycle (soprano, violin, piano)
- Through the Sprig of Myrtle (mezzo & piano)
- Mass (solo Soprano, women ‘s chorus and chamber orchestra)
- Several Works for SATB with or without piano accompaniment
- The Last Ballade (soprano & piano)
- Four songs from the age of Rebetico (mezzo and string quartet)
- For Symeyra (mezzo, vln, vlc, pno, saz)
- Sappho de Mytilène (mezzo, alto flute/flute in C, piano)
- Jackson-5 rebooted. (for tenor and chamber orchestra).
- DICE Chamber Opera in three acts
- Toccata for piano
- Four Landscapes from Hades (for piano and tape)
- Labyrinths for piano (currently withdrawn from circulation)
- Minute Fugue (solo organ)
- Five encore miniatures for solo piano
- Book of Rhapsodies (ongoing project)
- Fantasia Sopra Solare
- Fantasia Sopra il Dies Irae
- Prelude and Fugue at C (Beige)
- Prelude and Fugue at C# (Gold)
- Prelude and Fugue at D (Yellow)
- Prelude and Fugue at Eb (Brown)
- Prelude and Fugue at E (Coral)
- Prelude and Fugue at F (Maroon)
- Prelude and Fugue at F# (Violet)
Hailed as “the most important Hellenic-descent composer of his generation” (Jazz & Tzaz), commanding a “beyond the ordinary sense of musicality”, Constantine Caravassilis’ music is “constantly charged with emotion and energy in a profoundly individual style” (R.C.M.).
Born into a musical family in Toronto, he grew up in the culturally vibrant township of Pythagorion, Samos Island, Greece. He is the founder and past director of the chorus and traditional orchestra of the Multi-Branch Lyceum of Samos City (1995–1997), for which he wrote his first theatre score at age sixteen for a staging of Federico Garcia Lorca‘s Blood Wedding.
Constantine is laureate of the 4th International Composition Competition of the city of Volos, (supported by the Hellenic Ministry of Culture and Trinity College, London) with three gold medals in composition and prizewinner at the annual Mississauga Symphony Orchestra Young Composer’s Competition (2004). His piece Apanthroposis for solo flute and tape written for young flutist Luke Nickel, received the first prize in the Canadian Composers Category, at the 2006 Syrinx Flute Festival in Canada.
He has received countless commissions from soloists, ensembles and organizations the world around. Considered as one of the most prolific young composers in Canada, Constantine writes for all media and his output includes seven concerti, with a plethora of chamber, orchestral, vocal and electroacoustic works. His music has been performed in Germany, France, Denmark, the U.K. and Wales, Russia, Belarus, Sweden, Israel, Greece, Cyprus, Turkey and Japan as well as throughout Canada and the United States, in several well-known music centers, such as the Alte Oper Frankfurt, the Smolensk Philharmonic Hall, the Bunka-Kainan Hall in Tokyo, Round Tower in Copenhagen, La Chappelle de Bon Pasteur in Montreal, the Markham Theatre for the Performing Arts in Ontario, Jordan Hall in Boston, New Theatre in Cardiff, the Bösendorfer Artist Salon in New York City and the Rosslyn Hill Chapel in London.
His compositions and arrangements have been recorded by Marquis (EMI Canada) and CBC and have been broadcast by WGBH Radio in the U.S., CBC Radio in Canada, BBC-3 in the U.K, and TDK radio in Japan.
Constantine has been composer-in-residence with the Contemporary Opera Lab (2005, Winnipeg, Canada), the Open Strings Festival (2006, Lolland, Denmark), the London Song Festival (2007, London, England) and currently is composer-in-residence with the Cantabile Chamber Singers (2008–2009, Toronto, Canada).
This past season, premieres of Constantine’s work included Sappho de Mytilene, a song cycle for mezzo soprano Ariana Chris as part of the In Recital series at Toronto’s intimate Helocinian Hall (recorded at the CBC Glenn Gould Studio for later release), the north American premiere of Rhaspody No. 2 – Visitations, by pianist Zhenya Yesmanovich as part of the University of Toronto’s New Music Festival, the world premiere of Father, Into Thy Hands I Commend my Spirit with the composer as countertenor, commissioned by Soundstreams Canada, and the world premiere of Message in a Bottle, a piece for string orchestra commissioned by the Canadian Contemporary Music Workshop (CCMW) for the 25th anniversary of the Canadian Composer ‘s Orchestra conducted by Gary Kulesha and presented as part of Toronto’s 2008 SoundAxis Festival.