You are here
The reprehensible devastation of the precious city centre at the end of World War II faded out many traces of the glorious musical history of the capital of Saxony, although some important buildings have been reconstructed. But the medieval St. Sophia church with its Silbermann organ is finally lost, as are all the inner city houses of composers.
In the 17th c. Heinrich Schütz was the leading musician (1617–72). In the 18th, during the reign of August der Starke, the musical life reached its peak: Hasse (opera), Zelenka (church music), Heinichen (orchestra) and the violinist Pisendel all worked here as court musicians. In 1736 Bach was honoured with the title of court composer; he visited the town seven times. His son Friedemann was organist at St. Sophia, 1733-47. In the 19th c. Weber (1817–26) and Wagner (1846–49) led the court opera. Schumann (1844-50) and Rakhmaninov (1906-09) lived in Dresden.
Select a place on the map or from the list on the left.
To MusicAtlas overview
music history -
Explanation of symbols
|A workshop or atelier for instruments or other music items.||Other occasional live music performances|
|A library or archive.||A concert hall or other place for live music.|
|A conservatory or music school.||A place where composers or musicians performed or were employed.|
|A house or building that is closed to the public.||A house or building that can be visited by the public.|
|A single monument.||Two or more monuments.|
|A museum.||Opera house or other place for music theatre performances.|
|A memorial or interesting organ.||A memorial tablet or stone.|
|A single grave.||Two or more graves.|